Where to Position FakeTV
- Choose a location where you can see the light from FakeTV, but not the FakeTV unit itself.
- If FakeTV is near a second story window, you can use it with or without curtains or other window coverings.
- For a first-floor window, aim the FakeTV unit at translucent shade, drapes or blinds, so that it lets FakeTV light out, but you cannot see the FakeTV unit from outside.
Mistakes to Avoid with FakeTV
- The FakeTV unit must not be directly visible from outside the house!
- Do not let another light source wash out the light from FakeTV.
- Do not use FakeTV with a window that is too well lit with exterior lighting.
How to Use FakeTV
Place the FakeTV unit on a table or other suitable horizontal surface, using the illustrations as a guide. Plug the AC adaptor into the FakeTV unit, and into an outlet.
INTERNAL LIGHT SENSOR:
Most convenient is to use the light sensor built into FakeTV. If it gets dark early (say, around five pm), place the switch on the FakeTV unit in the DUSK + 7 HRS position. If it gets dark later (say, around nine) use the DUSK + 4 HRS position. One or two LED’s will turn on, depending on switch setting. FakeTV will not turn on until it is really, really dark (0.5 lux), because it is only effective when it is dark outside. If a light on a timer, or some other light source illuminates the room with the FakeTV unit, then FakeTV will not turn on.
If for any reason you wish to have the FakeTV on at some times other than those provided by the light sensor, you may turn the FakeTV unit on, and plug the ac adapter in the timer. Alternatively, you may give the appearance of a television left on all the time by simply leaving the switch on FakeTV in the on position and plugging the adaptor in an unswitched outlet.
CHECK IT OUT:
Take a look outside when it is dark, and FakeTV is on. Make sure you can see the light from FakeTV, but not the FakeTV unit itself. It’s a good idea to try out FakeTV a couple of days while the house is still occupied, so you know that it is coming on at the times you want.
The diffuser lens built into FakeTV prevents the light output from ever being dangerous– it is less concentrated than, say, an LED flashlight. But avoid staring at FakeTV directly. It is not healthy to stare at any bright light source.
Thanks for using a FakeTV. You need not restrict its use to vacations. You can simply leave FakeTV set up, discouraging would-be burglars every time you are out for the evening. Despite the very bright output, and thanks to the recent advancements in LED technology, FakeTV draws less power than a night light.
If you have any questions about the operation of FakeTV, please see our page: Frequently Asked Questions about FakeTV Operation.